~ Bethlehem Star with Broderie Perse ~
My first try at a lone star quilt sat neglected under my cutting table for an entire winter before I tried using sky blue fabric as the background. Then it lingered for awhile longer while the cats used it for their bed. One day I found the Jinny Byer broderie perse fabric on sale for half price and just knew it was perfect for my star. I cut out the motifs and arranged them to fill the space, glued them on, and did a narrow black satin stitch appliqué so that the stitching was the same size as the lines in the design. It was hard to do as it involved constant turning of the whole top, but well worth it in the end. Also, I really learned how to do this kind of appliqué in this project. Mountain Mist 100% cotton batt; invisible nylon thread; 53" square.
~ Detail of Broderie Perse ~